Chadwick

The Amazing Sniper Guide

The Amazing In-Depth Sniper Guide (as requested)

by Chadwick

3524.png

Warning

This guide is for newbies and interested middle class players only.

• If you think you're some elite sniper builder...

• If you're already using a sniper very well in PvP...

• If you're already godlike, has godlike equips, etc...

• If you're here just to point out my mistakes and not help to correct it...

• If you're here just to insult me...

Then hit the back button already.

Credits, Thankies and People Who Corrected My Stuff Nicely

Thanks to the Damage Calculation Guide.

Thanks to skip (Corrected the Sniper's Role in PvP)

Thanks to XSHIDO (Pointed out my lack of a weapons section.)

Introduction

So you wanna be a sniper. What made you choose the awesome character class? Is it the dashing speed and flexibility of this character? Is it his impressively long range? Is it the pure, raw power of his bow? Or is it because this character is a lover of animals, and actually brings a falcon with him wherever he goes? Whatever your reason, you won't regret your decision. The sniper is a very powerful and adaptive class. Imagine, any MvP Boss would easily be junk food in your eyes. Now, let's get busy building up your sniper.

Types of Sniper

WTH, DS-type and falcon type, you say?

There WERE those two types of sniper, but guess what. In here, our stats are capped at 200, that's why there's more points to distribute among your stats.

All snipers here need MAX dex.

Yes, you heard me right. So basically, all snipers in our dear server are power-type/ds-type. The variations that might be considered in gRO are the falcon-type and the vit-type.

• Falcon type (I'm one of them), get a lot of int and luk depending on their preference, max dex, 195 aspd-enough agi, and maybe some str. These MVP killers may also add some vit, depending on their preference.

• Vit-type on the other hand, get as much vit as they possibly can, max dex, 195 aspd-enough agi, and maybe some str. These PvP conquerors might put some luk and int too, but I doubt they'd add so much.

It's still all about your personal preference, but remember, max dex and 195 aspd-enough agi are the most important things for a sniper.

Roles of the Sniper

PvP. (Thanks to skip for correcting me.) If you're just about to learn being a sniper, I wouldn't recommend engaging in duels, especially with paladins. Against them, you wouldn't do decent damage. You might survive the first couple of seconds, but you'll eventually bite the dust. Against other classes, they'd do well only if they're smart enough. For a sniper, tactics is everything in PvP. Using all skills available, they own in PvP, and they're not one of those cheap classes who can one-shot people. That's a good and a bad thing at the same time. In other words, if you expect just to click an enemy in PvP and then kill them just by doing that, then the sniper is not for you.

Snipers do not suck in PvP! D=

Pneuma can be easily defeated with windghost or stormy knight, and snipers vs. sinx=easy. Sniper is one of the only classes that can take out ninjas easily, too, since they're better at stun-locking than ninjas. Snipers are also the best non-magic class at using different elements, since all they have to do is switch arrows. They're also cheap to equip in pvp, and get insanely good pd, especially with valk manteau. And traps, of course. Ankle snare=pwnage. They're great in woe defense, or against woe defenses, since they can set up traps that make the enemy pretty much sitting ducks for the shooting, or get rid of rows of traps with one skill, and they can arrow shower status arrows without giving up DS power like clowns/gypsies. Arrow repel/Charge arrow is one of the best defensive pvp skills...like...ever. o.o

Things that suck about snipers are that they're squishy once you hit em. If an LK can get through the stun-lock with eddga or mashing endure or whatnot, we're dead in two BB's...max. And snipers can carry like two feathers and go overweight. -.- And there aren't any great dex gears on this server, nothing like how megs add +40str, since we can only take advantage of zeroms by giving up windghosts...so that we're screwed against errende cards, unless we decide to drop an arm and a leg on a SK. But the defenses of an agile sniper are awesomely good and can compensate for most of that. :)

Not a brainless one-skill char like ninjas or pallies, but something that actually takes a little skill to use. Which is fun. =D

WoE. They are handy in WoE. When with the defending guild, snipers setting a lot of traps would really be a nuisance. Sadly, those trap methods are seldom used in our server because most people prefer a mad rush, and then leave their newly claimed castle defenseless. Meanwhile, if the sniper is with the attackers, they're a little bit useless.

MvP. With 195 ASPD, most monsters would be stun-locked, and would be killed even before they reach you. That includes MvP Bosses! With the right equipment and damage-boosting cards, this magnificent class is one of the best classes for MvP-ing.

Leveling your Sniper

1st job, 2nd job, then Transcend. This'll pretty much be anywhere. An archer needs only Double Strafe to get by. When you get to 2nd class, by level 80, you can easily reach level 99 by using wind arrows on anolians (cmd_fild03). Any other map where there's good EXP is good. It's easy to reach level 99.

Sniper level 80-140. You can stay in cmd_fild03 until you reach 130 or 140. Anolians give good exp, and they're not strong enough to kill you. But if you're strong and tough enough, you can venture in the thanatos tower and whack some better exp-giving monsters there until you reach 180. Make sure that you have 195 attack speed by the time you're in level 130 or else, you'll have a hard time reaching level 254 (or at least a longer time). Okay, I'll give you guys a hint. Put your dex to the maximum (that's 200), and your agi to 140. That'll do the trick for getting 195 aspd right away. Of course you need to use Improve Concentration for 195 aspd.

Sniper level 140-254. When you have 195 aspd, you can stun-lock monsters. 192-194 would also do, but max aspd is way better. When you stun-lock, that means that the monster you're attacking is flinching repeatedly, fast enough to hinder its movement. That's what you would like, because that way, you can prevent the monster from reaching and whacking you. By the time you get to level 130 or 140, you should have 195 aspd already. That's because you'll need it to venture in thor_v03. Don't forget to equip your crystal arrows in here. At first, you can only pick at kasa, because everythin' else in this dungeon is just too tough for you. Eventually, when you get some luk and gain some crit, you can pick on them all. You'll be level 254 in no time.

th1lr8.gifth2sj7.gifth3xm8.gifth4bt9.gifth5pr2.gif

The monsters of Thor Dungeon Level 3

The Build

A nice thing about snipers is that you can create any build you want, and it most likely wouldn't suck, unless you really suck at this game. As long as you have max dex and aspd, your sniper is good. You can play with your luk and int stat for your falcon damage, you can get some vit just to toughen up, and if your sniper is your character for hunting items, you'd want to get str just for holding your arrows and items.

As for my build, that's a secret. What? You wanna know? No. I said no. Nooo!! Why are you bugging me like this?! Shut the f... F... Fine. I'll give it to you. You won't be seeing my sniper in PvP anyway.:lol:

STR 110

AGI 140

INT 101

VIT 100

DEX 200

LUK 170

Follow it at your own risk, but let me tell you this. This build is very good for hunting and MvP-ing only. Don't post in here telling me this build is not good in PvP. I already said that you're not going to see my sniper in PvP. Go get some common sense. Anyway, I guess many would be against the high vit. I guess I just hate dying.

Calculating your Falcon Damage

As you all know, for a sniper (of course while using a bow), dex determines the damage of your every shot. Meanwhile, the falcon is dependent on two stats. Every 2 int, your falcon's damage increase by a total of 10 points (in auto-blitz). Every 10 dex also adds 10 points falcon damage.

My INT = 101+7 = 108/2 = 54*10 = 540

My DEX = 200+65 = 269/10 = 26*10 = 260

540+260 = 800

Falcon's Default Damage = 700

Falcon Total Damage = 800+700 = 1500

The Equipments

Hey now, if you're actually reading this guide thoroughly, then I assume it's either you're one of the newbies or you're a middle class player like me. Godlike players wouldn't have to read this guide, right? So I will concentrate on the equipments way far from being called godlike. I'd tackle the valkyrie and other set equipments, but that's it. No Dark Lord Helm, Sliepnir and other god item suggestions in here. That includes MvP cards.

Headgear. If you're just starting in gRO, any headgear with dex, agi or int would do you good, especially an Apple o' Archer. But when you're already playing for more than a week, I think it's safe to say AoA sucks. An Erudite (Elder Willow) Ulle's Cap will satisfy your sniping needs. Stats are: +2 dex, +1 agi, +2 int (Elder Willow Card). Some vend these caps for as low as 5m and some, as high as 10m. You'll manage to get your hands on it some time. When you become a multi-millionaire, you can get yourself a Golden Dragon Helm or a Lord Kaho's Horn, which for me, is a little bit of a luxury.

Bodygear/Armor. If you're a sniper, then luk is a must. It adds crit and adds more chance for your falcon to autoblitz. Saying that, it would then be one of the best in your interest to wear a sniping suit, an armor built just for snipers. Stats are: +6 Critical Rate, +(Your luk/5) Critical Rate, +5 mdef, reduce aftercast delay by 23%. Imagine this. I have 170+18 luk, and with this fabulous armor, my crit rate goes up from 57 to 97.

Garment. Equipment sets will be tackled in another section. Now with that said, I narrowed down our options. It's either the muffler or the crest of the rider. Well, anything that's slotted will do. There's a reason I'd like to suggest both these two. The muffler is a common item, and you can easily get +7 of these for 5m in the blackmarket. Meanwhile, the crest of the rider, which gives +2 agi, can be dropped by Byorgue. But damn, these are kinda hard to spot, that almost no one makes +7 of their dropped garment.

Footgear. As I already said, equipment sets will be tackled in another section. That leaves us with only one choice, the ordinary boots. You can buy +7 of these boots in the blackmarket for less than 9m.

Accessories. Orlean's Gloves gives the best stats and advantages, which is +2 dex, +3% matk, and a slot. You can put in a Zerom Card for maximum dex, or you can put a wind ghost card for a 2% chance of casting Jupitel Thunder level 3. The Owl cards set (Owl Duke and Owl Baron Card) is also good, but you might want to reserve a slot in your accessories for an Alligator Card, which is part of the card set. More info about the card set is in the next section.

Weapons. How the heck did I forget about this? (Thanks to XSHIDO for reminding me.) Of course, we always use +10 Composite Bow[4], because of the 4 slots. It's better to rely on damage-boosting cards rather than the raw power of your bow.

Card set. Cruiser, Anolian, Alligator Dragon Tail and Merman Cards. Stats are:

Cruiser (Weapon): Inflict 10% more damage with Critical Attack. Critical +7 on Brute monsters.

Anolian (Armor): Add the chance of auto casting level 1 Improve Concentration on the user when receiving Physical Damage. If the user has mastered the skill at level 10, it will cast level 10 Improve Concentration.

Alligator (Accessory): Receive 5% less damage from Long Ranged Physical Attack.

Dragon Tail (Garment): AGI +1, Flee Rate +10. Inflict 5% more damage with Double Strafe and Arrow Shower skill.

I know what you're thinking. "WTF Chad, they suck!" Bah. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Merman (Footgear): Increase HP/SP Recovery by 10%.

If the user is equipped with items compounded to the Cruiser, Anolian, Alligator and Dragon Tail Cards...

• Inflict 20% more damage with Long Range Physical Attacks.

• AGI + 5, DEX + 3.

• Seeking Attack (which never miss its target) +20%.

• If Archer Class characters are equipped with items compounded to the set of cards listed above, it enables its user to receive 5% more Experience Points from Brute monsters and adds the chance of auto casting 'Coma' on the monsters while doing Physical Attack at the same time.

So let's say you're hunting for treasure boxes. Gold Acidus' description is as follows:

Holy level 2 (element), Large (size), and Dragon (race), with 51112 hp.

The most effective combo of damage-boosting cards would include different cards that boost damage according to the different descriptions of your target. As with this situation, the most effective practice would be to put these cards into your bow: Earth Petite (+20% damage against dragon), Orc Skeleton (+20% damage against holy element), Minorous (+15% damage against large enemies), and of course, a Cruiser Card (+10% damage with critical attack). In this situation, with our card set equipped and if our attack is critical, the computation would be:

Earth Petite = 1.2

Orc Skeleton = 1.2

Minorous = 1.15

Cruiser = 1.10

Ranged Attack Bonus = 1.2

1.2*1.2*1.15*1.10*1.2 = 2.18592

Equipment sets.

Valkyrie Set. The best you would want. Of course it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it, considering that everything in the set has one slot. You can put your boss cards in, but before you can afford those, you can put in your card set.

Vidar's Set. This set is good if you prefer more hp and neutral defense. For me, it's still better to equip something slotted so you can complete your card set.

Fricco's Set. The best effect of this set is the agi. But for me, it isn't worth it.

-- End of Guide, For Now. --

Last Update: September 25, 2008 - Added pictures.

LIES.

Snipers do not suck in PvP! D=

Take that back, dammit. T_T

Pneuma can be easily defeated with windghost or stormy knight, and snipers vs. sinx=easy. Sniper is one of the only classes that can take out ninjas easily, too, since they're better at stun-locking than ninjas. Snipers are also the best non-magic class at using different elements, since all they have to do is switch arrows. They're also cheap to equip in pvp, and get insanely good pd, especially with valk manteau. And traps, of course. Ankle snare=pwnage. They're great in woe defense, or against woe defenses, since they can set up traps that make the enemy pretty much sitting ducks for the shooting, or get rid of rows of traps with one skill, and they can arrow shower status arrows without giving up DS power like clowns/gypsies. Arrow repel/Charge arrow is one of the best defensive pvp skills...like...ever. o.o

Things that suck about snipers are that they're squishy once you hit em. If an LK can get through the stun-lock with eddga or mashing endure or whatnot, we're dead in two BB's...max. And snipers can carry like two feathers and go overweight. -.- And there aren't any great dex gears on this server, nothing like how megs add +40str, since we can only take advantage of zeroms by giving up windghosts...so that we're screwed against errende cards, unless we decide to drop an arm and a leg on a SK. But the defenses of an agile sniper are awesomely good and can compensate for most of that. :)

Seriously, though. Snipers=awesome.

Not a brainless one-skill char like ninjas or pallies, but something that actually takes a little skill to use. Which is fun. =D

I second skip. Snipers can hold their own against a lot of the classes. The thing is, sniper are not for noobs. A major skill of snipers that is over looked is the use of traps. There are so many different kinds that will help you a lot in battle. A big no no for sniper are paladins since they have the 80% reduction of range (that plus vit, your hits will almost be useless T_T)

But Sinx, no problem. Creator, that gets a little tricky. Wiz, lol, superior range by snipers, plus SP drain.

Player skill affects the lvl of the sniper more than equip.

I second skip. Snipers can hold their own against a lot of the classes. The thing is, sniper are not for noobs. A major skill of snipers that is over looked is the use of traps. There are so many different kinds that will help you a lot in battle. A big no no for sniper are paladins since they have the 80% reduction of range (that plus vit, your hits will almost be useless T_T)

But Sinx, no problem. Creator, that gets a little tricky. Wiz, lol, superior range by snipers, plus SP drain.

Player skill affects the lvl of the sniper more than equip.

:D Yay~

And I definitely agree with the snipers aren't for noobs thing, although I wouldn't have worded it that way. >< Lol. And the "player skills > leet equips" too. :)

But yeah, traps are very handy. The one that drains sp and ankle snare are probably the best, although the freezing one can help you out in a pinch. (And of course Talkie Box=<3) And people that use range-reducing stuff suck for snipers, but as the best range-reduction cards go in garment or shield, most people have those taken up by raydric+thara frog (or devi+gtb for the richer ones) and don't bother keeping anti-sniper equips on hand, much less have it hotkeyed...because they aren't very common in pvp.

Mm...as for creator being tricky, that could be solved by GR+valk armor. GR isn't too expensive as far as pvp gear goes, and it's definitely worth it against all the champs. If GR isn't possible, I usually get plenty of int on my snipers for falcon damage anyway, so the mdef helps plenty. But then again, I don't see many creators in pvp either...because it's just an all-around bad choice. ><; Valk stuff is so cheap, so breaking equips is useless, and Ninjas>Creator as far as the whole skill-spamming goes, since ninjas have more spammy elemental skills, and as for battle creators with mammonite...just make a ws. ><; Creator is one char class that is pretty much useless in pvp on a HR server, if you wanna be any good. =/

I'll take it back, but I have work today, so that'll be postponed, sorry...

I'll take it back, but I have work today, so that'll be postponed, sorry...

Lol, mmk. ^_^

Sorry if it seems like I overreacted. x.x; sniper=my fav pvp class. ^^;

You're still awesome, Chad! :D and other than the pvp thing, this guide is very nice. =D Thumbs up!

Snipers don't suck in PVP. You suck! :P J/P.

I'm a sniper (Sir Rape ign) and I've owned all classes. It came to the point where I've had numerous people kill me because they just hate me? I've had guilds hate me, etc. Snipers are freaking good, but the build you have is cool for MVP, but for PVP it is no bueno! :(

That's why I quoted skip. Read, damn it.

I'm a sniper (Sir Rape ign) and I've owned all classes. It came to the point where I've had numerous people kill me because they just hate me? I've had guilds hate me, etc. Snipers are freaking good, but the build you have is cool for MVP, but for PVP it is no bueno! :(

Lol...that is one thing about snipers, though, the good ones uhh...tend to get hated a lot. >< Not as much as ninjas!! But stun-lock in general just makes some classes mad *cough*LK*cough* :rolleyes: That, and trappers in woe get much profanity, rofl.

But people cursing at my sniper just makes me more proud of her, so it's all good~ :)

Hey Chadwick can you add a skill build section. Since I recently got to lvl 120 and I cant decide what to put my leftover skill points on. (Leftover skills points= Sp after I maxed the essential skills)

You'll eventually get all skills, so I don't feel the need for a skill build section.

what is the perfect arrow for PvP? :o

None. Have at least two arrows to switch between.

As for "correcting you nicely" chad, I probably coulda been nicer about it >< Sorry again, but I knew you wouldn't take it too seriously, or the wrong way. ^^; Thanks for the credit. :) I might attempt to rewrite the pvp part, though, so it's more of a guide and not just a rant. ><; Maybe monday or something, since I don't have my laptop charger with me this weekend @[email protected]

Oh, that was nice enough, skip. Thanks for the correction. Although it's a bit violent, you never insulted me and treated me as an inferior being. That's what separates you from other people. You just went on with the topic, and that's what made me understand.

Again, thanks.

. .nice guide bro. .good build for mvp-ing. .for pvp i sugges

agi=195 aspd is enough

dex=max

luck=170-ish

vit=all the rest XD. .i tried that before. .seems ok for me =P

Why don't you use Ifrit ring set so you can have fun counting how many asuras you did Today.......

I used sniper once Fun I use DLH, Ifrit ring set, Sniping suit my Crit rate was 133 XD

Just suggestion, my Sniper only got 1 vit while other goes to int and luk so I let my falcon does more damage :lol:

My policy is offense is the best defense :lol:

@gregg7

I prefer using Rudra's Bow all the time because the damage is nice ^_^

But when you're PvP, I suggest use +10 Composite Bow for 4 slot of cards :lol:

2 slot Gakkung is not bad, but IMHO looks like it gonna be better if you more rely on damage from cards (Hydra, Skel Worker, The Paper, Stormy Knight, etc)

im not really new to ro i started playing ro 1year before Iro started to want cash and beta was over, so hehe

but a good idea would be to add armor modifications like +++ and element enchant benefits.

they are not any good really but since you spoke about the weapon card set to rock into a kind of monsters, like the Acidus and company, u should also explain that you ll be needing a Composite Bow+10 becoz of 4slots. and not only 1, ull need 4 different sets, becoz u will not see acidus alone, they always have the lil different element brothers around or may be Hydra to say hi.

try that, any way, your guide is one of the best i have seen before.

luck with it, for being average player ull be such a nice godlike one later XD

Weapon section added.

Credits section updated.

Thanks!

@Brooky

You should have only put stats to agi and dex, you don't need any other stats just to level up. When you fix your ASPD to 195, then that's the time you should put points to other stats. As I remember, I was level 130 when I gained 195 ASPD.

@Lige

Yeah, me too. :lol: