Sign in to follow this  
raphaelluigi

Testing Room

Is it possible to have a certain room wherein we can test and modify an item for example a WOE weapon in which we can put cards, upgrade it to a certain level or anything that you wanted with that weapon. This room is intended for testing purposes only because its so hard to have those individual items like the WOE gears to be tested in game due to the fact that its so hard to get.

+1

I even want to find out if General Daehyon cards on a Balmung [3] is better than Abysmal, etc. on a dagger, as a left hand weapon. For breaking

Would be very difficult to script I would imagine. Probably a damage calculator based on our server, as a website tool might be quicker to do.

+111111111111111111 x a million

I WISH there was someway to do this and hope somehow we can do this? It would be SO helpful.

It will make people lazier...xD

I'm always buying thing to test it,whether it's fail or success,Spent tons of bio musco etc,it's called research so it's need sources to make perfect build so I dont think it's good,because it will make ppl lazier than before...

Just my opinion tho..

+999

Tho. I usually go to the test eggs on prontera but it has a certain skills that can be cast only.

So this topic please consider it.

It will make people lazier...xD

I'm always buying thing to test it,whether it's fail or success,Spent tons of bio musco etc,it's called research so it's need sources to make perfect build so I dont think it's good,because it will make ppl lazier than before...

Just my opinion tho..

I was thinking this would bring a big help to the server although the scripting would really cause brain damage. /swt3

I actually thought this will save up time, effort and money for newbies and oldies. This way people will have a clue on what to buy and what not to buy, what to use and what not to use. It gives them goals to further continue playing.

P.S. Also just my opinion, no hate. /lv

I will have to do some research if someone has done such an approach already.

But it's a very dangerous approach due security holes.

As this test room would require to create items, give it to you, save your current inventory and equipment and then after you were messing around, it would have to return everything back to the state as it was when you've entered.

In case of server crashes or other unpredicted things (pointing at players), this could go really, really, really, really, really, really bad.

Either ingame and website calculator are both very complicated and extremely time consuming to create.

Since my todo list is already almost endless, i can't see to get this implemented in gRO in any time soon or probably never at all.

But i will still do some research, maybe there's something similiar out there already.

I will have to do some research if someone has done such an approach already.

But it's a very dangerous approach due security holes.

As this test room would require to create items, give it to you, save your current inventory and equipment and then after you were messing around, it would have to return everything back to the state as it was when you've entered.

In case of server crashes or other unpredicted things (pointing at players), this could go really, really, really, really, really, really bad.

Either ingame and website calculator are both very complicated and extremely time consuming to create.

Since my todo list is already almost endless, i can't see to get this implemented in gRO in any time soon or probably never at all.

But i will still do some research, maybe there's something similiar out there already.

What about if these items were like the rental items?

For example, Items are sold on NPC's inside the testing rooms and have a time limit of 1 hour or so?

And leaving the testing room instantly destroys all rental items. /heh

What about if these items were like the rental items?

For example, Items are sold on NPC's inside the testing rooms and have a time limit of 1 hour or so?

And leaving the testing room instantly destroys all rental items. /heh

yeah i was thinking something similar to this. but i would imagine it would be a pain in the ass to script and all D:

How about just adding a selectable and accessible test server? Like when you log in you would see the options ''GatheringRO'' and ''Test Server''

Just like how iRO have different servers inside itself.

In that test server, all characters have GM commands of creating and upgrading items and summoning mobs. You can even summon an Emperium, Barricade, MVPs, or whatever mob to level yourself up. If possible also have the job and base EXP rate at like x999999 so you can instantly reach level 250

That server will have WoE disabled and the @warp commands disabled too. The server will only contain a single large room that has the job changing, platinum skills, and skill/stat reseter NPC in it.

Problem is people could just keep using the server for PVP-dueling purposes and leave the main server's Hellbox empty.

Maintaining an additional test server is too much work. I'm still working on all updates myself which is already extremly time consuming.

Next to that, running another server would decrease the overall database performance.

And the rental items may sound like a good idea in the first place. But there are problems with cards for instance or players having normal rentals as well.

The other problem will be on how to deliver a big variety of items to be created while there are always new ones coming up.

This is by far more complicated than you guys might imagine :P

And upon my first research i was only able to find emperium test rooms. Nothing else that could be compared to what you're asking for.

And giving total freedom of creating items will only lead to client crashes since the database usually offers tons of items which are not yet fully implemented.

So far I think a lot of people just want to test the emp weapons (at least i do) but that would also require refinement...I guess you could just put in +10 safe refine tickets with a rental npc too. As for cards, i would suggest a rental vendor or whatever like with the items, or putting a decarder in there as well... But I can imagine this would be a fuckload of work, and yeah a test server is just a bit too much to ask I think :/

Maybe if this was ever implemented, people could just suggest what they want to test on it, and you could add it to the rental npcs? I dunno.

It is, however, a huge huge, huge project. I personally don't mind hunting to test most things but with emp/battlegrounds things it would be nice to somehow have a way to test them...before you waste a ton of frags/badges. idk.

I recommend reading the weapon effects instead and calculate it through.
All data is black on white within the item description.
And i'm sure there are some dmg calculators somewhere in the interwebs which could be abused for this purpose.

We've designed the weapons to be top-notch to help you doing your dirty business.
It's a good thing if it takes some time for you guys to decide if you're going to buy something or not.
That means you've worked hard for the new currency, and simply wasting it is no option for you.

Oh I was only brainstorming as to what would be the least cumbersome option to have because I figured that you have a bunch of other projects to script so adding this to the to-do list might delay the others. I just thought that adding an extra server that only has 1 map and 3 NPCs would be the easiest instead of having the need to script a room with new rental items and new NPC and etc. but it turns out that it'll just add more lag to the main server and that mini-server will just keep crashing if the wrong @item was created, so that's not even worth it.

Hmm but I do have another idea that maybe would be easier. It should be just repacking files and editing some configuration but I'm not sure since I'm not a programmer but it's just an idea. You and Ray mentioned before that you handle balancing and bugs in a Test/Beta Server. I don't know if you guys do this online or offline but would there be a way to create an offline client that is a clone of that Test/Beta Server or of the current server? It could even be bare-bones and not contain any music files or any other maps except the Colosseum or something.

I have heard of an old Ragnarok Offline program named "Vidar" and the connection thingies were just set to 'connect' to your own offline computer address 192.168.1.76. Of course I don't know how Vidar differs from rAthena or whichever.

But yea would it be possible to pack an offline client for us that is a bare-bones clone of the Test/Beta Server you use or even the current server? Minus all player made characters, guilds, etc. of course, that we can configure to connect to 192.168.1.76 and play gRO offline just for the purpose of testing stuff? That way we can test things ourselves inside an offline gRO clone

What do you think? /no1

Setting up an offline server is quite complicated as you will have to setup a SQL database environment.

So most players will fail at that stage already.

Next to that, an offline client may reveal data to the players which we don't want to share.

And on top of that:
It's not less work just because we make it available as a download.

Yes i'm maintaining a test server already. But first off:
- It's not always online to save ressources

- It's most of the time either more or less up to date than the live server

- It's not 1/1 the same as the live server

- Players will still crash themselfs with items/monsters

Ohh

I guess we can settle with the Emperium test room for the meantime /heh

Question: How does this Emperium Test Room works? It's something new to me. :3

A room wherein you can test your damage on an emperium.